After Valladolid in 2014, Braga will host the second Iberian Meeting on Aesthetics. These meetings intend to foster the collaboration between Portuguese and Spanish scholars on philosophical aesthetics, as well as the promotion and open discussion of rigorous research in the field. This year’s edition is devoted to the topic of “aesthetic concepts”. Jerome Stolnitz once considered “disinterestedness” to be the only truly aesthetic concept available since all others were either misconceptions or metaphorical transfers from other philosophical areas. This meeting proposes an opportunity to reassess the use of a wide range of concepts with which philosophers have been seeking to apprehend the aesthetic phenomena.
- Carlos João Correia (Univ. Lisboa)
- Ana García Varas (Univ. Zaragoza)
- Arto Haapala (Univ. Helsínquia)
We invite philosophers and scholars to submit 700 word abstracts for papers in philosophical aesthetics, particularly (but not exclusively) on matters related to the topic of “aesthetic concepts”, including:
- “Aesthetic semantics”
- “Philosophy of art criticism”
- “History of aesthetics”
- “Art in the age of pluralism”
- “Artistic interpretation”
Presentation of papers: 30 minutes plus 15 minutes of discussion.
Portuguese, English, and Spanish will be official languages at the conference.
Correspondência e envio de comunicações:
Vítor Moura, Philosophy Department, University of Minho [email@example.com]
Organizers: Vítor Moura (Univ. Minho), Nuno Crespo (Univ. Nova de Lisboa) y María José Alcaraz (Univ. Múrcia).
- Anna Christina Ribeiro (Texas Tech University)
- Antonio Molina (Univ. Sevilha)
- Francisca Pérez Carreño (Univ. Múrcia)
- Gerard Vilar (Univ. Autónoma de Barcelona)
- João Maria André (Univ. Coimbra)
- João Pedro Cachopo (Univ. Nova de Lisboa)
- Sixto Castro (Univ. Valladolid)
- Vicente Jarque (Univ. Castilla-La Mancha)
With the support of Sociedad Española de Estética y Teoría de las Artes: